Friday, September 22, 2006


Before I go back to college next week (eek! still haven't quite got the summer homework done...), I thought I'd do a bit of show and tell from last year's work:

This is my stitch "resolved" piece - that middle section is an awful lot of french knots ...






Below is my mixed media piece - shibori dyed muslin & velvet, nuno felt & knitted lace. The fused glass panel in front of the fabric contains knitted silver wire.

The lace pattern was random-ish in that I charted the shape I vaguely wanted & just made sure my stitch count was something like right across the row - SKPO's, k2togs, k3togs, YO's and WYRN twice/3times were made up as I went along! The lace is knitted from Infinity Soysilk, which dyes really nicely too - it'll dye with either acid or procion-type dyes equally well, but being so fine, it's a pain to skein & then re-wind (oh, for a swift & a ball winder! - I really ought to check out Ebay).



This year's work is likely to be less fabric-y, as we're looking at non-conventional materials (wax, latex, etc.) and have units on painting, sculpture, site-specific work and some more printing.

I'll still be knitting (I always am!) but maybe it'll end up being even more twisted!

Knitting with the silver wire was interesting & I've made some lovely fused glass buttons with knitted wire lace held inside - it's hard on the hands though.

I do fancy the idea of somehow adding light to some knitting - maybe using fibre-optics or something along those lines, at some point, but I'm clueless as to how I'll actually achieve that, yet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home